LinkSmart® is an open source IoT platform for developing IoT applications for in various domains, such as Smart Citiessmart cities, Industrie Industry 4.0, Smart Grid smart grid, and much more. The LinkSmart® platform provides building blocks as generic and domain-specific services to efficiently implement applications in the Internet of Things. These include basic services such as device abstraction, data storage, live data management, and advanced ones such as stream mining and online machine learning. Following the microservice patternmicroservices pattern, LinkSmart® services can be orchestrated freely arranged together depending on the concrete use casecases. Those Those services can be are grouped in into following categories:
Device Integration & Abstraction
The LinkSmart® Device Integration & Abstraction
The LinkSmart® Device Integration & Abstraction subset takes care of connecting devices and exposing them through an IP network protocol. This process is the first basic step into an IoT infrastructure. The service responsible for doing this is the DeviceConnector. A DeviceConnector integrates the physical devices into the IP-network infrastructure by abstracting them into OGC SensorThings objects, providing an endpoint to access the devices, propagate any change in the status of devices, and allow secure interaction with devices. The LinkSmart® platform comes with various DeviceConnector implementations for different use cases:
- DGW: IoT Device Gateway - for consumer IoT use cases
- IGW: IndustrialOPC Gateway - for IIoT or Industry 4.0 use cases
- SP: Sensor Platform - for embedded data management
Services are responsible for two basic IoT requirements:
- Connecting devices or subsystems to the world of IP networking.
- Abstracting devices or subsystems into a unified API and data format (SenML/OGC SensorThings).
As a result, LinkSmart® provides endpoints (REST/MQTT) to access these devices/subsystems and allow interaction with other LinkSmart® Services (or any other OGC SensorThings-compliant services). LinkSmart® comes with a couple of connectors, e.g. for simple sensors but also for more complex OPC-based systems.
In an IoT infrastructure, the number of devices and services can grow quickly and their status' and connectivity can change dynamically. To be able LinkSmart® Service Provisioning helps to manage such infrastructure, LinkSmart® platform provides a set of services to manage and keep i.e. keeping track of the running devices, services, systems, and sub-systems. In this subset, LinkSmart® uses following solutions
- SC: Service Catalogue - for service registration and monitoring
- RC: Resource Catalogue - for devices registration and monitoring
MR: Model Repository - for storing and managing domain and deployment models describing devices and services integrated into a particular application context
Data Management & Processing
Data Management & Machine Learning
Many IoT applications are dealing with large amounts of data produced by growing amounts of that is generated by sensors and other devices. Depending on the use case, such data needs to be simply stored , or processed , or managed in another way. Sometimes it may be sufficient to store simple time-series data while on other occasions it may be necessary to do stream mining or online machine learning. LinkSmart® provides the following services for data management & processing:
in a more or less complex way. LinkSmart® Data Management & Processing Services account for this flexibility and allow for:
- Efficiently storing, querying,
- aggregating (time-series) sensor data
- Stream mining and on-demand data
- Stream learning and complex analysis processes
Networking & Security
For any internet system, some basic infrastructure is needed for secure and reliable communication. In the LinkSmart® Platform, we provide or use some services to intelligently manage the secure network communication in it.
- BGW: IoT Border Gateway - for managing IoT security policies in Authorization, Authentication, and Accounting
- MQTT Broker: for most of the internal communication in the LinkSmart® Platform, we rely on third party MQTT brokers.
The LinkSmart® platform Related Services:
- LinkSmart® Historical Datastore (for time-series data)
- LinkSmart® IoT Agents (for stream mining and learning)
The LinkSmart® Platform provides out-of-the-box visualization for rapid prototyping based on Grafana or FreeBoard. Currently, there are we have two plug-ins for visualizing stored data and manipulating live data.
- HDS: for visualizing stored data
- DPA: for visualizing live data
Work in progress: LinkSmart® services for manageing authorization, authentication and accounting in IoT infrastructures.